In February 2018, Tune Protect launched the Tune Protect Climate Action & Environmental Protection initiative to “create awareness and enable social change” within the Company. For Climate Action, there was a visual presentation with slides and videos on the following:
- Global warming and the many causes
- The damage already done and the crisis that we are already in
- The simple things Tune Protectors can do to fight climate change and lower our carbon footprint in the office and at home
For Environmental Protection, the presentation covered :
- Fresh water sources and how limited they really are
- The urgent need to protect precious water sources and land that support all living creatures and plants
- The crucial role we need to play in helping to maintain good balance
- The importance of protecting water sources and land from pollution
Tune Protection invited our collaborative partner The Truly Loving Company (TLC) to provide important information about biodegradable alternatives to regular detergents and washing liquids that won’t contaminate precious water sources and land. TLC was represented by their Chief Executive Officer, Ms. Julia Chong and her team.
To officiate the initiative, Tune Protect kicked-off several initiatives for Climate Action and Environmental Protection in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals No. 13, 14 and 15 promoting Responsible Consumption, Climate Action, Life Below Water and Life On Land.
For Climate Action, Tune Protect took definitive action with the following :
- Programme timers for hot drinking water dispensers were installed to turn them off automatically after working hours to halve electricity consumption
- Reminder signages at switches were installed to remind users to conserve electricity
- Reminder signages at photocopier machines were installed to remind users to switch off at the end of the day
- Lighting Floor Plans were installed to enable staff to switch off lights at the end of the day
- Switching to cooler and longer lasting LED bulbs
- Observing Earth Hour Friday every Friday when all non-essential lights and equipment are switched-off between 12pm to 1pm every Friday
There were also specially designed signages developed to remind about switching off non-essential lights and electrical equipment, conserving water and protecting against water pollution.
For Environmental Protection against water source and land pollution, Tune Protect launched the following initiatives :
- Installation of reminders signages to encourage water conservation
- Recycling of fluorescent tubes to ensure proper disposal by a licensed collection center in accordance with environmental laws
- Recycling e-waste items such as batteries, mobile phones and power banks to ensure proper disposal by a licensed collection center in accordance with environmental laws
For both Climate Action and Environmental Protection, Tune Protect also place recycling bins to encourage staff to recycle the following :
- Paper, newspaper, magazines, table calendars, boxes, file, folders and other paper products
- Recyclable plastic
- Aluminium drink cans
- Metal biscuit tins
At the end of the event, dozens thronged the TLC booth to grab specially priced environmentally friendly products to take home. It was a very good launch that set a foundation for more green initiatives to come.